Freshman Study Habits

| FROM ACADEMY PRESS | BY JANINA HUANG | OCTOBER, 2012 |

As an incoming freshman this year at BUA, I had an assortment of worries, like if I’d enjoy my classes or get lost trying to find my way via public transportation to school. Perhaps one of my biggest worries, though, was if I’d ever be able to manage the rigorous workload that BUA is known for. It’s been almost four weeks into school, and I’m still getting used to all the homework I need to do, spending more hours sitting at my desk reading or typing away than I’ve ever done before. Ever since the first day of school, I’ve had books I’ve needed to read and questions to answer about Physics, and at first it was really quite overwhelming, which I suppose was to be expected. It wasn’t that it was too challenging or too much (yet), just a little different from what I was used to. Because of this change in homework levels, I’ve had to make changes to my study habits.

Curious, I asked some of my fellow classmates what some of their study habits were, hoping to see if perhaps we had any similar habits and maybe to pick up some other tips as well. Instead, though, they decided to give me tips on how not to study, such as, “Do nothing at all. Then, when your older self steals a time machine, you’ll have as much time as you want to do your homework.” Some told me what they did before coming to BUA, such as, “Convince yourself that you can totally relate your English essay to your favorite television show, and watch all the episodes as research.” Whatever it was, though, it seemed that most, if not all, of us had experienced a change in our homework load since transitioning from middle to high school.

Wanting to learn more about what good study habits really were, I tried consulting another source: my old friend Google. However, the articles and lists I found from searching “good study habits” sounded suspiciously like my middle school teachers, cheerfully chanting at me to “Make sure to stay focused!” and to “Always be prepared for class!” in florescent neon colors. Many of these tips seemed almost obvious, like, “Don’t cut class!” and “Do your homework!” I was doing all these things, however, what was I supposed to do if there was a show I wanted to watch but I had even more homework than usual that day? I’d have to do my homework first, probably, and watch the show another day, but was this what I was supposed to do?

After talking to different upperclassmen, there’s no doubt in my mind that, as the year goes on, I’ll be spending a lot more quality time sitting at my desk, reading, writing, and typing. But after looking at the changes I’ve made to my own habits, reading my classmate’s un-tips that, and attempting not to yell at my computer because of the quality of articles found via Google, with good study habits, I’ll most likely (and hopefully) make it out of school with my sanity relatively intact. Oh, and of course that if you’re looking for good study habits and tips, don’t ask Google.