The Spirit of Growth and Learning

Dear Academy Families,

One of my happier duties involves keeping in touch with peers at other independent schools, to share professional insights and to support each other’s work on all our students’ behalf. In the last 10 days, I have enjoyed catching up individually over coffee or a meal with the Heads of School from Roxbury Latin, Commonwealth School, and Shady Hill School. Next week I will attend a seasonal dinner for a group called the Tavern Club of Heads of School from around New England (including Groton, Milton, Brooks, Concord, Tabor, BB&N, Exeter, St. George’s, Belmont Hill — you get the picture). And early in February I will fly down to Philadelphia for the annual meeting of The Headmasters’ Association (with 50 Heads of School and 50 public school superintendents/principals, for a set membership of 100). At all of these gatherings, we share new ideas in pedagogy, brainstorm management and operational problems and potential solutions, and learn about cutting edge issues that might help our students be better ready for the challenges of the 21st century.

So at BU Academy, as at all of these fine schools, while we Heads of Schools hold our students and teachers to high standards, it is important that we hold ourselves to the same spirit of growth and learning… as I like to say, it keeps me young! And we also have a lot of fun together, as our students do — which is a key ingredient to deep learning!

Have a happy long holiday weekend!

Warm regards,
James S. Berkman
Head of School