Monday
December 12

So much cheer, so few pants…

By Stacey Milton

Hundreds gathered in Boston for the 12th annual Santa Speedo Run on Saturday, Dec. 10. Runners, running enthusiasts, and fans of the quirky tradition took part in the roughly one-mile race down Boylston Street and Newbury Street. Proceeds benefit the Play Ball Foundation.

Runners in the Santa Speedo Run 2011. Photo courtesy of Boston.com

Like many of my fellow Bostonians, I found myself downtown doing a little Christmas shopping this weekend. I actually enjoy the frenzied bustle of Boylston Street during the holidays, provided I have a nice warm beverage in hand. As with much of the East Coast, here in Boston we’ve had an unseasonably warm winter thus far, but this Saturday the temperature had dropped to a brisk 38 degrees. So, you’ll probably understand why I found it a little peculiar to see a girl standing outside the Apple Store wearing a perfectly weather-appropriate parka and….no pants. No pants! It was freezing outside, and she was in what appeared to be a bathing suit bottom.

Now, I know why: This Saturday was the 12th Annual Santa Speedo Run! Though less established than the Boston Marathon, this fundraising event has spread to other cities throughout the US, and the name pretty much says it — excited runners take to the streets of Boston in their skivvies, decked out in bright red and green to raise money for the Play Ball Foundation “which provides Boston middle school students with a chance to play and build friendships and character through the lessons of sport.” It’s a great cause, and a wonderfully amusing event to stumble upon while out doing a little holiday shopping. People-watching in Boston doesn’t get any more interesting than that!

You can check out more great photos from the event on Boston.com.