Thursday
December 15

What movie are we going to see this weekend?

By Stacey Milton

Coolidge Corner Theatre, located just off campus in nearby Brookline

Some of my favorite memories of being a student a BU include weekend outings to the movies with friends. Living in Myles Standish Hall, we were a ten minute walk from the theatre at Fenway. I couldn’t tell you how many weekends were spent corralling a group of five or more to see the new Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter (there was a new film in either series for each year I was a BU student — it was awesome).

As a high school student, I worked in a small, five-screen movie theatre in my hometown. I loved working behind the scenes as a projectionist, but often lamented that many of the films that I wanted to check out – mostly indie or foreign films – never made it to our little town. I was like a kid in a candy store when I found that in Boston I could see every film that I wanted to check out. I think I saw Amélie three times at the theatre in Copley. Alas, this particular theatre is now a Barneys.

I have no doubt that current students are still enjoying this movie-going tradition on the weekends. In fact, I was thrilled to come across this post from BU Culture Shock, the blog of BU’s Howard Thurman Center. Their recent post, “CULTS, CLASSICS AND REAL BUTTER” is a great guide to the many independent theatres in the Boston area. Film buffs, take notice. You’ll want to check these out for sure.