Monday
December 19

Is it really cold in Boston?

By Lisa H.

I’m always surprised when I get this question on the road, especially because I primarily travel to the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, where the weather isn’t very different from here in Boston (and  I’m pretty sure that they’ve gotten more snow than us for the past two years). I understand it a bit more when I travel back to my hometown of Richmond, VA where even rumors of snow lead to hoarding of canned goods and a day off of school for 2 inches of snowfall.

So, to dispel any mysteries surrounding winters in Boston for those of you in warmer climates, I provide you with (in my opinion) the two most important characteristics of the coldest season of the year:

Winters here are long, rather than frigid. While we’ll likely have a few days that get particularly cold (think Minnesota, with temps regularly well below zero), winters here are much more temperate (we’re talking like 10-35 degrees) but the cold will start as early as October – like this year when we got our first snow Halloween weekend – and will go right on up until April.

Winters are unpredictable. One year we’ll get very little snow, and the next we’ll get this:

2011-02-01_14-15-58_187

The snow here is one of the things that make Boston the charming city that it is in the winter, and I love watching the whole city turn white — this is the view from our office window looking out onto Commonwealth Ave last year:

2011-01-21_08-44-25_416

But as much as I love the snow and winters here in Boston (I do love my seasons), I’m very grateful this holiday season for the days I get to enjoy the snow from the comfort of my own living room while working from home, and the week I’ll be spending in California before the worst of the winter really hits. But for when the snow does come, my best advice is to ignore all fashion and invest in a heavy winter coat and some waterproof snow boots.

Happy holidays, and stay warm!