Friday
December 14

Congratulations to the first members of the Class of 2017!

By Stacey Milton

Early Decision Admitted Class of 2017

It was a cold, crisp December day. One of those perfect winter days when the sky is as blue as it’s ever been, and the sun was on its way down and turning everything golden. Alas, it was in the year 2000, otherwise I would share the Instagram with you. I was surrounded by cornfields, praying this was the day that my ticket to Boston would arrive.

I opened my mailbox and pulled out a standard envelope addressed to me, from Boston University. Heart in my throat, I walked back to the house and placed it on my kitchen table. Mom was at work, dad was out running errands. We didn’t have cell phones, so I couldn’t text them that it had arrived. I called my best friend. No answer.

I surveyed my audience. Three fluffy cats that couldn’t possibly understand how monumental this was. Three-and-a-half years of honors and APs, hours of homework, not to mention the afternoons spent editing final versions of the school paper and prancing about on the stage dressed in decade-old costumes. It all came down to this. To wait, or not to wait.

I tore open the envelope.

“Congratulations on your admission to BU’s Class of 2005.”

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Congratulations to all of the Terriers around the world admitted today to BU’s Class of 2017. This was our most competitive Early Decision applicant pool in BU’s history. We saw a 40% increase in applications. That’s HUGE.

This is an incredibly exciting moment for all of you. Enjoy it. Bask in the knowledge that next year you will be walking down Commonwealth Avenue, and take a moment to reflect on all of the hard work that allowed you to get to this point. Be appreciative. Thank your parents, teachers, friends, guardians, mentors, and friends who have supported you. Most likely, you didn’t do this alone.

And be humble. Remember that not everyone is getting, will get, or has gotten, good news.

On behalf of BU Admissions, again, congratulations. Have a wonderful weekend and happy holidays. We are thrilled for you, and cannot wait to see you next fall.

Where were you when you learned of your good news?

One Response to “Congratulations to the first members of the Class of 2017!”

1. From Kathleen Coleman

So this is my story. I was at lunch on our senior carpet which is in our high school lobby. It’s Friday so I wasn’t expecting to hear from schools until the next day. My friend mentions that Northeastern’s decisions came out early, so she lets me check on her smart phone. I go to my email and see an email from BU admissions. I don’t mention it and keep to myself as I click on the link. My heart starts to race and my friend notices how I’m shaking as I log in to my BU account. The suspense is killing me as I click on the admissions decision. The first word I see is congratulations! It was a good thing I was sitting down because I almost fainted. I stand up and start screaming for the whole school to hear “I got into BU!” Then my friends come over and start hugging me and I start crying. In the lobby of our high school at lunch where everyone can see me I was crying with joy. Then I called my parents, still crying. I had a 35 minute class after and then for the last hour of school I got to go around to all my teachers and tell them. The first person I told is a BU alumni. It was the best day of my life so far! Congratulations to my 2017 classmates!