Wednesday
February 6

What is there to do in Boston during the Winter?

By Katie Kocourek

BU students on the Frog Pond

Hello! My name is Katie and I am an Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications for BU Admissions. I’m also a BU alum who graduated from the School of Management in May 2012. In our office, I have the unique opportunity of working with the recruitment team and individuals from each of BU’s schools and colleges to develop our integrated communications for prospective students. I am lucky in that every day I get to represent the university that I love and reflect on the wonderful experiences I had as a student.

Originally from Minnesota, I am no stranger to winter. This was always one of my favorite times of year as a student. Not only does the campus look beautiful covered in snow, but the colder months bring some of the best that Boston has to offer. After all, who can resist the idea of a pick-up game of soccer in the snow on the BU Beach or cozying up with a good book and a cup of coffee at the George Sherman Union?

There are thousands of things to do in Boston during the winter, but here are a few of my favorites:

1. Enjoy an evening skating at the Frog Pond
    Located in the heart of the Boston Common, the Frog Pond is one of the most visited sites in the city. During the winter, this iconic pool is transformed into an ice rink—so grab a bunch of friends and get ready to skate the night away. On Tuesday evenings, the Frog Pond even offers half-priced admission to students who show their college I.D.<
  2. Take in a performance at BU’s Huntington Theatre Company
    Known for its eclectic seasons of up-and-coming plays and classics, the Huntington Theatre Company is one of the premier theatres in Boston. For the past 30 years, the theatre has staged nationally-renowned productions that have enhanced the artistic culture of the city. Lucky for us, this remarkable venue offers discount tickets for students and members of the BU community and is only a Boston University Shuttle ride away.
  3. Cheer on the Terriers in the Beanpot
    This hockey tournament, played the first two Mondays and Tuesdays of February, showcases Boston collegiate rivalries at their best. Every year, the men’s and women’s hockey teams from Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, and Harvard face off in a fierce tournament unlike any other in the country. The cheers are deafening, the fans shake the arenas, and the games are incredibly intense. Be sure to get your tickets early, because this is one event you do not want to miss as a student!
  4. Hit the nearby slopes on a day trip
    Boston has many ski and snowboard areas that are only a short trip away, making it easy to hit the slopes. The BU Ski & Board Club, a student-run group on campus, welcomes skiers and snowboarders of all abilities. Each season, they organize multiple trips to local ski and board areas for great prices. Additionally, many outdoor sporting goods stores such as Eastern Mountain Sports organize ski, snowboard, or even snowshoe day trips, allowing you to experience New England outdoors during the winter.
  5. Spend an afternoon taking in Boston’s museums
    We have some of the best museums in the world right here at our doorstep, and a chilly winter day is the perfect time to check them out. The Museum of Fine Arts features one of the most comprehensive collections of art in the world—consisting of everything from a renowned display of Egyptian artifacts to an entire wing devoted to the great artists of the Americas to the largest collection of Japanese works under one roof outside of Japan. Smaller than the Museum of Fine Arts (but equally fantastic), the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum provides a cozy, intimate environment for viewing a unique collection of more than 2,500 paintings, sculptures, furniture pieces, and decorative arts. This collection, personally compiled by Isabella Stewart Gardner herself, is housed in a beautiful 15th-century Venetian-style palace surrounding a gorgeous courtyard. Finally, a trip to the Museum of Science, located along the Charles River at the Science Park T Station, is a great way to spend an afternoon. This museum offers visitors shows at the Charles Hayden Planetarium and Mugar Omni Theater, a number of live presentations, and over 500 interactive exhibits highlighting topics ranging from the ecosystems and wildlife of New England to lightning and weather.

As you can see, winter offers lots of fun opportunities to get out and explore the city of Boston. Enjoy the remainder of the season and I hope to see you on campus soon!

One Response to “What is there to do in Boston during the Winter?”

1. From Jeremy Nault

This all sounds very interesting I also write a blog that is very similar to this except my blog talks about what there is to do at Plymouth State in NH. You gave a lot of great ideas and It definitely sounds like living in and going to Boston University is fun I cant wait to read future blogs from you.