Officers 2013-2014

President: Emily Hudson

Hello! A combination of my love for bio and my analytical nature led me to pursue a biomedical engineering degree. Over the past three years, I have learned just how many opportunities there are in this field and I could not be more excited to be here! I plan on attending graduate school in the future and working in industry when I graduate. When I’m not busy studying, I love to run—I might even try for a marathon someday! I also love the beach, my dog, ice cream, and of course, my family and friends.

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
-Scott Adams

Vice President: Nicole Black

G’day mates! My name is Nicole Black, and I come from the land down under. Actually, I’m from near Detroit, Michigan, but as of writing this, I’m currently in Sydney, Australia studying abroad for the spring semester. I initially became interested in engineering when I joined my high school’s FIRST robotics team, the ThunderChickens, and I soon figured out that biomedical engineering would be a great way to combine my loves of health and engineering. My current research interests are biomaterials and tissue engineering, particularly in the use of stem cells for regenerative medicine. In addition to pursuing graduate school and research, I would also one day like to become a high school engineering teacher or program director to motivate more students to consider engineering as a career path.

In my free time, I love swimming, scuba diving, boating, and anything else that involves open water. I’m also a huge fan of all things Disney, especially Snow White. I religiously follow Once Upon a Time, Parks and Recreation, and Shark Tank, and I spend way too much time on Reddit.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasurer: Kavon Karrobi

Hi everyone! I’m a half South Korean, half Persian from Oakland, California.  I am choosing to pursue a life in Biomedical Engineering because I found that it combines two of my passions in life: (1) helping people, and (2) the math and sciences.  I’m always amazed to hear, see, and read about all the amazing work being done in the field of BME to help benefit humanity, and I’m really excited to contribute to the great cause.  I have great interest in the advancement of medical treatments via the implementation of minimal invasive localized treatments. Specifically, I am extremely captivated by the fabrication of biocompatible nanotechnology to address, treat, and potentially cure diseases.  I hope to achieve all of this while pursuing a doctorate degree in BME, and potentially as an academic in BME as well.

In addition to all of that, I enjoy playing soccer, listening to and playing jazz, and cooking.  I also love to spend quality time with my family and friends. “Knowledge helps you make a living.  Wisdom helps you make a life.” – Fortune Cookie

Secretary: Angela Lai

Hello everyone! My name is Angela and I first became interested in biomedical engineering after being subjected to an MRI machine when I was in 6th grade. I couldn’t believe people had made such a device to help diagnose people through imaging. With that in mind, I started classes here at BU and become part of the Klapperich laboratory. Our involvement with diagnostic design for low resource settings has brought together what I have wanted to do as a career, help people who couldn’t find it by using hard science. I hope to go to graduate school in the biomedical field after graduating here and dabble in industry after that. After retirement I hope to live by a river in Maine and grow tomatoes and raise Tibetan mastiffs.

In my free time, I enjoy planning to make more free time in the future, sketching people in cafes, tossing Frisbee, exploring new music, and spending time with my friends and family.

“There is work that is work and there is play that is play; there is play that is work and work that is play. And in only one of these lies happiness.”

-Gelett Burgess

To contact the officers, send us an email at aemb@bu.edu!