Commencement 2011

5

The College of Fine Arts Graduation Convocation went very well as did the main Boston University Commencement on Nickerson Field the following day in which veteran TV broadcaster Katie Couric was the speaker, see text of Ms. Couric’s speech. We were very honored to have the noted painter, Frank Stella, give the address at the CFA Convocation. His address will appear in my next blog post.

Here are my introductory remarks to the Class of 2011.

On behalf of the faculty and administration, it is my honor to welcome you to the 2011 Graduation Convocation for the Boston University College of Fine Arts.

My name is Benjamín Juárez and I am dean of the College. Please be seated.

Today, we laid aside our brushes and books, our violins and scripts, to pause in celebration of the achievements of our students. I am delighted that you have joined us.

Soon, our graduates will join other College of Fine Arts alumni from around the world who not only make art, but defend and promote it. Graduates, I trust that you will demonstrate with your work, and with your voices, that the purpose of art is not merely to decorate society but to make a civilization worthy of our highest aspirations.

Art transcends. When politics fails to provide solutions, when science is appropriated for destructive purposes, when economics fails to serve the needs of all people, we must turn to art as it reminds us of what it is to be human. Without it, we are set adrift losing touch with ourselves and each other.

Therefore, you, the Class of 2011, are the heralds for our society of what is real and true — and you are needed now more than ever.