This past weekend, the Boston University Kendo Association (BUKA) took part in Harvard’s 17th Annual Shoryuhai Taikai. 18 BU students took part in the event, together with 2 BUKA affiliates – from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) and Tufts, respectively – serving as guest players. Here’s a recap of the entire weekend:
Day One – Teams
- Sempo: John Yi (SMG’14)
- Jiho: Katsutoshi Kawakami (ENG’13)
- Chuken: Lucien Thomas (CAS’14)
- Fukusho: Jessica Alexandria (CAS’13)
- Taisho: Shawn Shou (SMG’14)
- Sempo: Julie Zhu (CAS’15)
- Jiho: Raymond Feng (SMG’15)
- Chuken: Kenneth Jeng (Tufts)
- Fukusho: Erica Wiener (ENG’16)
- Taisho: Brandon Kesselly (CAS’14)
- Sempo: Taryn Ross (CGS’15)
- Jiho: Michaella Chung (SED’15)
- Chuken: Kayla Gillespie (CAS’16)
- Fukusho: Genevieve Boudreau (CAS’16)
- Taisho: Renee Wang (CAS’15)
Mixed Team Players
- Boshan Mo (ENG’16)
- Victoria Moore (CAS’15)
- Daniel Kim (ENG’16)
- Yevgeniy Temchenko (CAS’16)
- Rafael Kim (MCPHS)
1st – University of California at San Diego (UCSD) A
2nd – University of California, Riverside (UCR) A
3rd – Boston University (BU) A & Stony Brook University (SBU) A Highlights
- BU A took 3rd place overall!!
- BU A advanced to the Semifinals for the first time in two years!!
- BU A defeated NYU A in the Quarterfinals after being defeated by them at Rutgers
- BU B defeated Harvard A during the round robin!
- BU B tied Harvard A and NYU A in total wins during the round robin!
The Team tournament went rather well for BU. The A team had a record of 4-0-1 and was the only one to advance to the Quarterfinals. BU A went on to defeat NYU A 3-1 in the Quarterfinals before UCSD A defeated them 2-0 in the Semifinals. BU A placed 3rd alongside SBU A.
BU B played strong despite a slow start. During the first match of their round robin group, NYU A defeated them 5-0 ( in wins-losses; 10-1 in points). For every subsequent match, however, BU B seemed to truly blossom as they went on to win every other match, including an upset against Harvard A, which brought their record to 4-1-0 and placed them in a 3-way tie with NYU and Harvard. Unfortunately, BU B was still unable to advance due to the number of total points they had scored throughout the round robin, ending their run in the tournament.
Day Two – Individuals
- Boshan Mo (ENG ’16) scored his first tournament point: a Do!
- BU affiliate Rafael Kim (MCPHS) scored two Do points today!
- BU Captain John Yi (SMG’14) advanced to the Quarterfinal!
The individual tournament was not as strong for BU as the previous day. All of BU was eliminated before the Quarterfinal with the exception of BUKA Captain John Yi (SMG ’14). Yi was unfortunately defeated during the Quarterfinal by Matthew Yang (Rutgers) who placed 3rd.