American Easter Traditions

Written by Stephanie Ngom

My family celebrates Easter by decorating eggs, doing an egg hunt and eating a big breakfast or brunch.  Decorating eggs when I was young was much more difficult.  My mom used to make us poke holes in the top and bottom of the eggs and blow the raw egg out so she could use it for cooking later.  Nowadays, we just hard boil the eggs.  We put them in different colored dye to make fun patterns and mixtures of colors like blue, purple, yellow, red and green.  My daughters also enjoy putting stickers and fancy decorations on their eggs, which we didn’t have when I was growing up.  These eggs are used later for an egg hunt.

Bunny Ears
Here’s a picture of my daughter this year with her bunny ears

When my kids were young, I would make a special Easter basket filled with chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and a stuffed animal and put it at the end of their beds.  They thought it was the Easter Bunny who left it for them.  Then, they would go out into the yard and search for Easter eggs, both the ones we decorated and others that are plastic that you can fill with something.  Sometimes I put coins or little candies in the plastic eggs.  If the weather is bad, like it is this year, we hide the eggs in the house.

After the egg hunt, we usually make a big breakfast filled with eggs, potatoes and sausage.  Sometimes we go out for a special brunch where they have a buffet with all kinds of fun Easter food.  If we have family in town, we usually do something special if the weather is nice, like go for a long walk or go for a long drive with a beautiful view.  If only the weather would cooperate!

FullSizeRender
An egg I decorated for Easter