Richie: A Summer at the Cannes Film Festival

Richie ImageHey everyone! I was just recently notified about my acceptance into an incredible internship program at the Cannes Film Festival and wanted to let you guys be the first to know!

How I found out about it:

Over a whole year ago I walked past the Film and Television Department in COM, probably giving a tour, and saw a flyer advertising an internship program in Cannes.  It immediately grabbed my attention and I decided to “Google” it as soon as I got home.  A quick search let me know I had missed the application deadline for the 2011 Festival, but I was not discouraged and decided I was definitely going to make it in for 2012.

Applying:

That following fall semester, I began preparing everything I would need for a solid application.  With a trip to COM Career Services’ resume workshop, a recommendation from the amazing Katie Gallagher at COM Student Services, the completion of a few short essays, and an application video shot by a few of my friends, I was able to build a strong application in time for an early decision deadline!

What the program consists of:

Creative Minds is actually broken up into three different programs

The Network connection allows its participants to attend pitch meetings, strategic workshops, and different networking events to create relationships with industry professionals.

The Filmmaker Institute has its participants actually create a short 5-minute film within a week.  A panel of industry professionals will then judge the short films, awarded prizes, and obviously, the knowledge of how to craft a good story.  Students are put into groups and provided with a camera, laptop (with editing software), and a microphone.

The Internship Experience is the program I was accepted into!  Interns will be placed with a supporting partnership company while in Cannes and be able to make great connections to hopefully launch their careers in the future.  This program is the most competitive of the three as it includes follow-up assistance with post-festival job securing, access to exclusive parties and networking events, and a chance to work for companies such as: 20th Century Fox, DreamWorks, AMC, and Summit Entertainment, to just name a few!

Obviously the program seems amazing in terms of industry experience, but I have to say I’m also ecstatic as it will be the first time I have ever travelled to Europe or any sort of film festival!  The famous beaches of southern France, the large amount of celebrities attending the festivities, the exclusive industry parties, and the opportunity to sit among the best filmmakers in the world as they premiere their work is absolutely incredible! As an aspiring Filmmaker, I don’t think I have to explain anymore how excited I am to be able to partake in such an incredible event.

The program will last from May 14th-May 28th. I’ll definitely let you all of you visiting the COM Blog know how it’s going while I’m there!

If any of you are interested in Film or Television, I’d definitely recommend you start looking into applying for next year.  It’s never to early to start preparing and making your dream become a reality!