Steph: Academic Advising at COM

Steph ImageHey you guys! I can’t believe this is my last blog of the semester. It feels like only yesterday that I was writing my first blog about all the great movie theaters in Boston…

Anyway, before I get all nostalgic and sentimental like I do, I’d like to talk about one of the best resources COM has: the academic advisors.

At COM Student Services, we have five incredible academic advisors for students to make appointments with throughout their four years at BU. You can meet with them about planning your schedule, planning your study abroad, or anything that relates to your academics at BU.

Last week I had my first advising appointment. With registration coming up this Sunday for rising sophomores, I thought it would be a good idea to check in and get some advice about what classes I should take. In my meeting with Ryan, one of our advisors, I learned that I have enough AP credits and foundation requirements to take two COM classes next semester (Intro to Advertising and Understanding TV), along with a really awesome higher-level history course (American Pop Culture), and I have the possibility of studying abroad, twice! (I’m thinking London and LA, but we’ll see what happens).

I never would have known about these possibilities if I hadn’t gone to meet with one of our advisors at COM. So when you’re on campus next year and just want some advice on what your path should be academically, don’t be afraid to come to Student Services and make an appointment. Our advisors—Ryan, Bryan, Katie, Bill, and Erik—really are the best. I would know. I work with them.

Congrats again to all the members of the class of 2016! It was so great to meet some of you last Saturday at Open House, and I can’t wait to meet more of you this Saturday! See all of you next year!