Kate: Recap- Accepted Students Open House

Kate ImageWith admissions decisions out and May 1st fast approaching, I am getting more and more excited to welcome the new class of 2016 to COM.  I remember getting my acceptance letters and feeling the pressure to make that final decision.  These past two weekends, the COM Ambassadors welcomed over 250 admitted high school seniors and their families to take a look at the school.  They were able to hear from faculty, have lunch with current students, meet our amazing Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore, and take a tour of the COM building.  For all of you who did attend, my hope is that you felt all of the energy we exude and it made you your upcoming decision a little easier.   I was unfortunately not able to attend any Open Houses when making my decision and for those of you who are in my boat, I want to share with you three big take-aways that I think became a running theme of the past two Saturdays.  

1. COM is here to help. But not to just hand you things.  Between the Career Services office, the COM writing center, Student Services, and the COM Ambassadors, there are bunches of people who want to help you succeed.  However, I think everyone can agree that you need to be a go-getter and take advantage of all of these people who are here for you.  Ask questions, get advice, and use their expertise to make your many opportunities into realities.

2. Boston is a great city. There is no other way to put it.  Whether you’re a local or coming to college in the fall will be your first time, Boston has something to offer you.  It is an amazing place and with over a quarter of a million college kids, there is always something happening.  Walk around, take the T, explore the this college city.

3. Get ready to be busy. I had a lot of parents ask me if the students they met at Open House were just the 1%, those who are really exceling and doing great things.  And I was proud to say they aren’t.  I used my roommate as an example—she is a full time student, an intern, a club water polo player, and a member of Greek Life and she wasn’t present at Open House.  People who come to COM are passionate and want to get involved in everything.  When you get on campus in the fall, get ready for a crazy four years.

I, and my fellow COM Ambassadors, had a fantastic time meeting with students these past two weeks and we hope that Open House helped you make your decision, whether it be BU or one of the other amazing school we know you were admitted to.    As you make your final decision, please feel free to email me (katescott10@yahoo.com) with any last minute questions, concerns, or problems.