Lauren: Work & Fun, but Mostly Fun!

Hi COM kiddies!  Hope everyone is having a fantastic summer!  To COM2015 & COM2016- I can’t wait until I get to see you guys back on campus!  And to COM2017?  Welcome to BU!   Get ready for the time of your life!

While I’m anxious to get back on campus and start my senior year (NOOO I never want to graduate!), I’m having the best time in Boston this summer!  I’m subletting an amazing apartment in Coolidge Corner, and it’s been quite different than living on campus!  I’m also cooking for myself for the very first time, which has definitely been a “trial and error” sort of experience, but I love it!

I’ve actually had my summer planned out for a while.  Since February, I knew that I’d be interning full time and singing a cappella for fun on the side.  It seemed like an ideal situation: mostly work, and a little bit of fun.

But the second I walked into Digitas and started my internship at this amazing advertising agency, I knew that, while it was going to be long hours, late nights and tough work, it was also going to be TONS of fun!  The company has a fantastic internship program!  The interns get to enjoy bonding activities (like Red Sox games), training sessions, community service days & more!  We’re also working on an internship project and growing really close as an intern class.  Plus, they have many great past interns who now work at the company (like our very own Tiffany!)

The best part is that no day is exactly the same.  You’ve got to be on your A-game if you’re working at an agency, because it’s very fast-paced and exciting.  There’s never a dull moment at Digitas, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  And, although I’ve only been there for three weeks, I’ve already learned so much.  I know I’m always writing about how important internships are, but I really mean it.  No textbook or lecture can teach you this stuff!  It’s an experience like no other.

But I only get to add on to the fun this summer by being in B Line Breakdown, the summer a cappella group at BU!  Comprised of singers from many of BU’s a cappella groups, we spend our time together bopping and harmonizing to some really cool jams!  It’s a great way to bond with my fellow Terriers over our love of a cappella.  There’s nothing quite like being surrounded by people who share the same passion as you!

I feel so lucky that I’m able to do two things that I truly, deeply love.  My challenge for you all this summer is to find your own perfect balance between work and fun.  But maybe, if you’re lucky, you’ll find that your work, and your fun, are the same thing!