Steph: Never Lose Contact

Hey everyone! I hope all of you are having an amazing summer so far. It’s SO weird to think that two years ago, I had already gone to Orientation and was anxiously awaiting Freshman Move-In.

Two years later, here I am, back in Miami. Only this time, I have a really awesome internship instead of just hanging out by the pool all day. Well…okay, I’m still hanging out by the pool a lot.

This summer, I’m working as a Production Intern at Zimmerman Advertising in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. As a production intern, I spend my days in the studio, which at Zimmerman is known as StudioZ. This internship has been a really ideal situation for me, since I’m majoring in Film/TV and minoring in Advertising. This way, I get to combine both my interests! I’ve been putting a lot of my Final Cut Pro skills to use, creating video bases for TV spots. I’ve also been learning a ton of After Effects, which is the program that creates awesome animations and graphics…essentially Photoshop, but for video. It’s super intense and overwhelming, but hopefully by the end of the summer I’ll be a pro!

I wouldn’t have this awesome internship if it weren’t for the connections I’ve made at COM over the last two years. During my internship search in the spring, I decided to meet with Professor Cakebread, whom I had for Introduction to Advertising the semester before. Since I met with him extensively during the class, I figured he would be a good person to talk to because he knows the advertising world, as well as what kind of experience I was looking for. He got me in contact with a BU alum who was working at Zimmerman, and the rest is history!

The moral of the story is, never lose contact with those that help you along the way. Professor Cakebread was a great teacher and really helped me out in that class, and helped me out now with landing an internship! Don’t be afraid to reach out to these people–they are there to help, and, they really do love to see their students succeed. Keep all of this in mind as you start to prepare for your first year at BU!