Lauren: The Coolest Class I’ve Taken at BU!

Hi #BU2017!  I hope you’ve been having a fantastic first few weeks here at BU!

Now that I’m a senior (though I’m in total denial about it), I can say that I’ve taken a fair share of BU classes.  However, one particular class I’m taking this semester really stands out amongst the rest.  It’s a brand new type of learning experience, and I’m thrilled that I can be a part of it.
The course, AMP Insights Lab Incubator, is taught by individuals who work at AMP Agency, an integrated communications agency located here in Boston.  But instead of sitting in a classroom, the students get to learn in AMP’s awesome office.  It’s amazing to be in such a creative, productive environment, and it’s a nice change of scenery!

Each week, we discuss consumer trends and new technologies while exploring the intersection between creativity, strategy and technology.  We learn from some of the brightest minds in the industry during the weekly workshops in all the different advertising  departments like Account Management, Creative, Media, Technology, etc.   Each class is very hands-on and filled with interactive mini-projects and assignments.

The greatest aspect of the course, though, is that we get to work with an amazing client: The City of Boston.  Our final project involves creating a marketing strategy for the Onein3 Organization founded by Mayor Menino.  We’ll be presenting our ideas to city council workers in December, and we may even get to see our strategy implemented!  This Friday we have a special “kick-off” reception with the mayor himself, and I’ll get to meet him for the first time!  I’m ecstatic to be working on such an amazing project.

The College of Communication is constantly innovating, and this new type of class is just an example of how COM is giving students even more opportunities to get involved in the field.  I’m so thankful that AMP Agency has been so welcoming, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the semester holds!

Until next time,

Lauren