Julianna: Gold-mining the StuVi II Mailroom

Julianna ImageWant to know one of my favorite spot on campus? The StuViII mailroom. Random, I know. Well placed outside the StuViII mailroom (and at mailrooms across campus) is a plastic box stacked with unclaimed magazines. As an aspiring magazine journalist I lose my mind when I get my fingers on glossy pages. And so, I’ve made it a habit to stop by the mailroom on a weekly basis to partake in some magazine freeganism. At the moment the coffee table in my apartment looks as if it belongs in a doctor’s office––Scientific American, Entertainment Weekly and Teen Vogue  are just a few of the dog-earred magazines sprawled out in my living room.

Here’s a few of my favorite recent magazine stories:

“Justin Timberlake: #Hashtag of the Year”

GQ

In mid-November I went on a New York City networking trip with BU’s chapter of Ed2010 to the offices of GQ and NYLON magazines. I really enjoyed GQ’s “Men of the Year” December 2013 issue especially since JT (swoon!) was one of the cover stars. Amy Wallace’s story is an honest and hilarious portrayal of Mr. Timberlake.

“Succumb to Your Senses” 

The Improper Bostonian

The staff at the Improper (an awesome and free lifestyle magazine) compiled listings of Boston-area indulgences to satisfy our sense of smell, sight, taste, hearing and touch. They offer decadent recipes from a local chef and suggest luxuries like a chakras aligning session at The Inner Gym on Boylston Street.

“Find the Bad Guy”

The New Yorker

If you’re a fan of novelist Jeffrey Eugenides (The Virgin Suicides is outstanding and Middlesex is  on my winter break reading list) then take a look at this piece of fiction that appeared in the November 18th issue of The New Yorker. Sometimes a short fictional story is a nice departure from news and nonfiction.