Steph: Paper Writing 101

StephSemetAs evidenced by the most recent blog posts, finals are the one thing on everyone’s mind right now. Before I leave BU for winter break on Saturday, I have two final papers to turn in. Because of my classes this semester, I have had to write many many papers and only taken two tests. So my mind is totally focused on writing. Here are some tips for perfecting the art of paper writing.

Start Early.

I know, easier said than done. Personally, it takes me forever to write a paper, especially when I first start. No one likes pulling all nighters and finishing the paper at 7am the day it’s due. Plus, the longer you have to write the paper, the more time you’ll have to edit and make sure you get the best grade possible.

Meet with your Professor or TA.

I’m a big believer in this. Sometimes it’s helpful to meet with your professor if you’re not sure what to write about, or just to make sure that your topic isn’t too ambitious. Most will be happy to look over a thesis statement or even an outline. Which brings me to…

Start off with a really comprehensive outline.

I cannot tell you how helpful this is. I started doing this last semester, and once you have a really good outline put together, writing the actual paper takes half as long and is a lot less stressful. Already knowing what you’re going to say helps keep you on track so that you don’t end up going on tangents.

I hope these tips help you all out with all of your final papers! Here’s to the last week of classes. Have a wonderful winter break! 🙂