Sara: Let’s Talk About Job Searching

Welcome to my world, where I am now a second semester senior. When did that happen? No, really…. when?!

It’s time to leave the safety of the college bubble and enter into the “real world.” Although I’m definitely ready to be done with school, searching for a job actually slightly terrifies me. It’s a delicate balance between fear and excitement but it feels incredible knowing all that’s ahead.

If you’re a senior reading this, I’m sure you feel the same way. If you’re an underclassmen, it’s totally plausible you feel this way about finding an internship too! No worries though, we’re in this together.

Thoughts that have crossed my mind (to make you feel less alone):

New York, LA, Boston, Austin? I’ll honestly go anywhere but it’s definitely something you want to seriously consider. If you don’t love LA, then don’t move there! Or want to stay close to home, then do that! You now get to decide where you really want to live, and that power is awesome. Go where you’re heart takes you (cheesy and true).

Do I want to do PR? Or go more towards marketing? Or maybe branding could be interesting? I’m not ruling anything out and neither should you. Your time here at BU has certainly prepared you for many incredible opportunities. It’s all about tweaking your resume and cover letter to shape your experiences and apply them to job postings

What industry should I work in? Entertainment? Or food? The advice I keep getting from everyone: Do what makes you happy, and do it now. It can be really scary to take a leap of faith but I don’t want to look back years from now and wish I had taken another path. I plan on waiting to find a great job in the field I love, rather than just take anything to have a crappy job.

Sometimes, things happen unconventionally. How many times have you been to an alumni panel at BU and they’ve told you a crazy story about how they got a job they love? Leave room for the unimaginable and remember, you don’t always have to play by the rules (but shhh, you didn’t hear that from me!)

And if along the way, you happen to find any communication jobs in New York, LA, or just about anywhere in the South that talk a lot about loving food and wanting to make it your life, pass that along to me 😉