Zachary: Less Money, Mo’ Problems

I don’t know if anyone ever told you, but being in college is hard. The conventional things like making friends, moving out on your own, and managing classes is actually easier than expected, but something that no one ever really warned me about was money management. Even with the cushion of money I saved up from my steady job this past summer, and having a small monthly allowance form my parents, I still stress about money on a daily basis. 

When you are at school, money flies away without you ever noticing it. A couple dinners out in a week can end up being over $50, and a trip to CVS when you’re sick can be crazy expensive. Here’s a couple thing I’ve learned over the past semester and a half about money management on your own:

Plan Your Meals Wisely

I try to only eat out once a week, and while this is tough given the amazing food options in Boston, it can be done. As weird as on-campus dining can be, there are enough options that you can always find something you’ll love. This semester I changed from the 14-plus to the 250 plan and have gotten a boat-load of dining points, allowing me to eat in the GSU more often (I eat there a lot. Seriously, I never leave. Like you will always find me there, usually eating a sushi bowl in back court.)

Sell Those Gift Cards

The holidays were wonderful, weren’t they? But they left you with so many gift cards that you’ll never use! What I did at the beginning of the semester was make a bunch of returns, leaving me with about $200 in store credit. I went onto cardpool.com and only lost about 10% leaving me with a hefty check to support me this semester.

Use Your Student Discounts

There are sooooooooooooooooooooo many student discounts out there, especially here in Boston. As a Film & TV major and theatre lover, I see a lot of movie and plays, and using my student discount has saved me a ton. Being a student can also get you into tons of places for free, like the Isabella Gardner Museum or the MFA. It’s a much better way of spending your day than going out shopping.

Also online there are a ton of great deals, like you can register your school ID with Spotify and get half off on Spotify Premium for your of years of college!

So those are a few of my money saving tips, but I’m still learning! I’ll be back next time once I’ve mastered the Quickie job system!