Stacy: The Decision to Move Off Campus

I’m the type of person to have a five-year plan, and then follow it religiously. My plan for college housing was to live in Warren, then 1019, then StuV for my junior and senior years. I’m currently a sophomore and when my friends and I were talking about housing for next year, they all decided they wanted to move off campus for our junior year. I didn’t know the first thing about getting an apartment. I hadn’t done the research or even thought about it. So, for others who find themselves in a similar predicament, here are some basics and tips for moving off campus.

1. Find a good realtor. There are plenty of companies in Boston – make sure to find one that has a plan for undergraduate college students and has apartments and houses near the BU Campus.
  2. Choose whom to live with. Living off campus is more responsibility. Make sure you’re choosing to live with people who will agree to roommate terms and want the same things, regarding housing preferences, as you do.
  3. Convincing the parents. I made a spreadsheet on Microsoft Excel showing my dad how living off campus is actually cheaper than living in StuV 1 or 2. Up front there are a lot of fees (first month’s rent, last month’s rent, application fee and lock fee) but after that it is a lot less overwhelming and you don’t have to use the dining hall, which is absolutely amazing.
  4. Be fair about choosing rooms. Luckily the girls I’m living with all wanted different rooms so we never had an issue, but make sure you use a fair method in deciding who gets what room.
  5. Read the lease at least three times. Ask questions about items you don’t understand. This is a legal document, so make sure you understand all of the rules and agreements you are signing to.
  6. Lastly, take a deep breath. I got overwhelmed with all of the up front payments, finding a place without my parents helping me, signing a thick legal document and leaving the safety net of a 24 hour security guard and a dining plan. However, living off campus is cheaper and gives you more freedom, more space and is a more independent lifestyle that I didn’t realize I wanted until I signed the lease.

So, if living off campus isn’t in your long-term college plan – don’t be opposed to it. Have an open mind. I’m so excited to have an apartment with my best friends… and also to have an actual kitchen.