Claire: Spring Break with BU ASB

10999889_10152762323507081_64638958177547377_n

Wondering what to do over your spring break? Looking for a cheaper alternative to flying home? Interested in service and making friends that will last a lifetime?  DO BU’S ALTERNATIVE SERVICE BREAK!

I just came back from Greenville, South Carolina after spending a wonderful week volunteering with underprivileged youth. In the afternoons my service group volunteered at the Frazee Center, which is an after school program for children. We spent time playing with them, reading, making crafts, and mentoring the young students. Later in the week we volunteered at Pendleton Place, a shelter for displaced teenage girls. We did various tasks around the shelter and got an opportunity to spend time with the girls and hang out with them.

It was such an unbelievable experience being able to work with the kids and hear their heartbreaking stories. However, it was even more inspiring to see how, despite their difficult situations, they are flourishing and filled with happiness. Having the opportunity to volunteer with the Frazee Center and Pendleton Place has truly changed my perspective on life and will continue to influence me forever.

BU ASB is far more than just volunteering; the people I volunteered with quickly became some of my best friends and the memories I made with them will last a lifetime. It was so fun being able to explore Greenville and immerse myself in the culture (and food). Not to mention, escape the cold.

Take a look at http://buasb.com to find your next adventure!  There are so many different opportunities available. Look though all of the various service focus areas and amazing locations.