Tyler: Summer Quandaries

As everyone who’s anyone already knows, admissions decisions for Boston University’s class of 2019 were released this weekend. Woo, new Terriers! In light of the big decision thousands of high school students will have to make over the next couple of weeks, I’ve decided to compile a list that should help all of us approach some major quandaries about summer that are either overwhelming our minds now, or will inevitably do so by the end of spring.

Let’s start things off easy:

Should I go to BU?

Stop it. I literally can’t even with you right now. Feigning disinterest in the greatest university in the world will not increase your scholarship or financial aid (as far as I know). Just click that “I accept my admission into Boston University and choose to enroll” box and come have the greatest, most productive four years of your life.

Now for the current students:

Should I take that unpaid internship for the summer?

Definitely use discretion with this one. Consider the cost of living you’ll have to take up, how beneficial the position will be toward reaching your professional goals, and how appealing the work actually is to you. One common option is to manage time so that you can intern part-time and work part-time. Doing this while living at home is probably the most cost-efficient option, but depending on your personal financial situation, a full-time, unpaid spot far away form home could be the most productive option.

Or:

Should I take that paid internship?

More likely than the unpaid one, yes, of course. However, this decision should naturally be approached with the same discretion described above. In a lot of cases, I’ve seen people take paid internships over unpaid ones, despite the fact that they’re actually putting themselves in what they consider a less appealing position or environment. However, if a position is paid, it’s highly likely that you’ll be doing work of import, or that you can incorporate into some sort of portfolio. Therefore, this sort of position might have a greater chance of landing you an even greater internship or job in the field that interests most, just by the level of work you’ve proven you can do.

Should I return home for the summer?

I highly recommend spending at least one summer among your college years at home. I did so after my freshman year (the best summer to do so, in my opinion), and I don’t regret any moment of it. Think about your relationship with your family and your financial situation. The best way to guarantee yourself a profit at the end of a summer is to live for free and work. Ideally, your parents will let you spend a few more months at home, and it’s never too hard to pick up that old high school job, or to find a new one where you can work extra hours here and there. And if you’re graduating, I personally believe there’s nothing wrong with reconnecting with the fam one last time, collecting your mind and resources, and taking the time to carefully sort through all potential futures — even if this takes a season or two.

So, speaking of us spring seniors:

Should I take that job that has nothing to do with the field I’ve spent four years studying and dedicating my life to?

Yes, Tyler, God … I mean, yes, you probably should. If anything will undoubtedly make the next period of time easier for just about anyone, it’s an income. I hate to be that guy who resigns to the power of money over other principles, but listen: The best time to look for a job is when you have a job. I’ve heard this from a number of people who seemed to know a thing or two about being adults. Because they were. But as long as you can support yourself to some extent, you can comfortably search for other opportunities with the knowledge that you’re at least good enough for something. And once you’ve inserted yourself into a professional setting, networking is always beneficial. You never know, you might even love that job.

And finally:

Should I finish that Ben & Jerry’s Pistachio Pistachio in my freezer?

Yes. You do you.