Aidan: The Resources You Didn’t Know About On Campus

Hey gang! So today, I thought I would share with you something that is kind of an embarrassment to me: it took me being a student here for 2+ years before I actually had an academic advising appointment. Yeah, I know. Well, on reflecting on that, I have started to think about all the resources here at the University, and what some people don’t take advantage of enough, or even know exist. So here is my list of what I believe are the most under-appreciated, but also most useful, resources at Boston University:

1. The Com Writing Center

Come on, there is a writing center on campus that is just for COM STUDENTS?! WHY AREN’T WE USING THIS MORE?? Staffed by graduate students in the Com Program, they can help you with your scripts, your ad pitches, and even your COM101 papers. That’s right, they are experts on COM101. A very great resource for incoming COM Freshmen. The writing center is located in the basement of the COM Building.

2. The Center for Career Development

Okay, this is a place that has done a lot of good for me. Not only can they help you prep for a job interview (resume critiquing, interview skills and practice, how to write a cover letter), they can even help you find that job interview! The CCD is located at 100 Bay State Road, this isn’t one you want to miss.

3. The Educational Resource Center

This is a good one. The ERC (also at 100 Bay State Road) has a lot of programs to help students do better in their classes. This is where you can find tutoring for any subject, as well as resources if you are a first generation student or an international student who needs extra help with interpreting the English classroom. To be honest, if I had known about these as a freshman, I would have used them much sooner. So, in essence, don’t be like me. Reach out and get help on what you need help on! You will be glad you did.

To be honest, if I had known about these as a freshman, I would have used them much sooner. Reach out and get help, you will be glad you did!