Kate: How to spend this summer in Boston

If you love BU as much as I do, I bet you’re wondering how you can stay on campus or in Boston all year round. I have spent my past 2 summers in Boston working for BU’s Community Service Center through the BU Orientation summer leadership opportunities. The 2016 summer leadership opportunities include BU orientation student and program advisors, FYSOP coordinators, and CSC program managers and interns. Applications can be found here and are due January 19, 2016.

There are so many pros to working for the CSC or orientation- besides being able to live in Boston for the summer. The paid position offers compensated housing! You develop close knit bonds with other students on campus and become familiar with high level administration at the university. There is also a lot of opportunity for personal growth and professional development- you’re bound to find and become a mentor through a summer leadership experience.

During the summer of 2014, I worked in the CSC as a FYSOP coordinator for the children focus area. It was such a great experience! I loved spending my summer learning more about social justice issues in the Boston area and enjoyed preparing for FYSOP 25. I gained a lot of professional skills from the job, such as public speaking, report writing, working with a team, and setting and reaching goals. I loved working for the CSC so much that I spend summer 2015 working there as an undergraduate intern for the office. As a member of the senior staff, I learned so much about higher education and non-profit management. I loved getting to create opportunities for education, service and reflection and assist the team creating FYSOP 26.

So, if you’re looking for a way to stay in Boston, look no further! You may apply only for the free housing or cause it’s a way to stay away from your small hometown. But I promise if you work for the CSC or orientation, you will have the best summer (or if you’re lucky enough, you’ll have 2!) of your life, working with amazing students and professionals, and growing as an individual.