L.E.: The best part of my sorority experience

Being from Florida, I was pretty familiar with the idea of Greek life. I knew that Greek life was not as popular at BU as it was in the south, so I didn’t feel obligated to go through sorority recruitment. When I got to BU, I met so many amazing and inspiring women who happened to be involved in Greek life. I learned that the Greek environment at BU was much different than in the south. Once it became time to sign up for recruitment, I decided to go through the process because most of my friends were signed up and I thought that it would be a great way to meet more COM and non-COM friends that were girls (most of my friends at that point were guys in COM).

The recruitment process is extremely physically and emotionally draining. I had to wake up early and head to the Marriott Copley to spend the majority of my weekend visiting different sorority rooms and having a lifetime of conversations with different girls. After a few identity crises and deep thinking, I finished the recruitment process and awaited Bid-day (the day you find out which sorority offers you a bid for membership).

There are 10 amazing sororities on campus, which makes recruitment SO challenging. However I felt that ADPi was the best fit for me. What I didn’t know at first was how much an impact that my sorority was going to have in my life.

I don’t have enough space to cover all of the great aspects of being in a sorority, so I want to focus on the one that has had the most profound impact on me: sisterhood. Through ADPi, I gained a home filled of so many girls that inspire and support me daily.

This year I am living in a suite with 5 other girls, 4 of them being in my sorority. Before we decided to live together our primary connection was our sorority, we’re all in different schools and are involved in different activities. However, it’s only the beginning of spring semester and these girls have already impacted my life in such a positive way.

In a busy and stressful work week, I know that when I go home I have an amazing support system that is always there for me. I know that if I ever need advice or someone to vent to, there will always be someone there for me. The memories we’ve made are endless and the love and joy that my roommates have poured into my life is immense. I’m already dreading the end of the year and the fact I won’t get to live with them forever.

The best friends that I have gained through my sorority extends beyond my roommates, as I have made so many relationships that I know will be lifelong. Whether it’s needing to talk to someone to talk to at 2 AM, an intern or guest for my radio show, or someone to watch a movie with, these girls have always been there for me. In my college experience this far, there is nothing I am more thankful for than the best friends that I have made here. Friends who constantly inspire me and remind me of who I am and the type of person that I want to be.

My best advice for girls who are any bit interested in recruitment is GO FOR IT! I was never even planning on accepting a bid and if I didn’t take that chance of going through the recruitment process then I never would have met some of my best friends. Greek life is filled with incredible women that work to better the world around them. Whether it’s through philanthropy or friendship, being in a sorority is a great opportunity to mold you as a person and enhance your college experience.

The picture above is from a sisterhood event and below is my roommate and I on our big comfy couch

Roommates + Sophie + Emily for a birthday celebration: