Ethan: Winter Survival Movie List

Boston recently celebrated the 2-year anniversary of one of the biggest snowstorms the city has ever seen, and it has me feeling nostalgic. I thought back on those days holed up in my Warren double freshman year, watching Netflix and eating popcorn, I wondered how everyone stayed (somewhat) sane. So I made a winter movie playlist to help everyone get through a potentially tough season in our beautiful town.

1. Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Star Wars is perhaps the most culturally important franchise our species has seen – if you haven’t seen it, I suggest you take advantage of a snow day and marathon all the films. This installment prominently features Hoth, the ice planet. Many a meme was created during the blistery winter relating Boston to the remote planet.

1. Snowpiercer (2013)

After a climate change experiment goes wrong, the world is consumed by ice. The last survivors of our world are aboard Snowpiercer – the train that runs around the globe. A class system develops on the train, and tensions constantly run high. The film assumes the tone of a comic book film and is full of well-placed action sequences, but there is also a strong story underneath. The class divide is certainly topical, and with climate change as a central motivator, this film will continue to be relevant for years to come.

1. The Hateful Eight (2015)

Yes, it is 3 hours and 7 minutes long. Yes, it mostly takes place in one room. Yes, it’s still full of blood and vulgarity. People largely overlook this Tarantino film in favor of his more fast-paced movies like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, and I think it’s unfair. The story largely unfolds in a cabin in Wyoming during a snowstorm. A group of 8 – made up of bounty hunters, criminals, and lawmen, stay the night, (portrayed by a stellar cast) and violence ensues. Though this is not my favorite Tarantino film, I highly suggest it if you’re a fan of his quick dialogue and interesting characters.

1. Eddie the Eagle (2016)

This feel-good movie flew under the radar after its release, but it deserves much more attention. Producer Matthew Vaughn drew inspiration from Cool Runnings to make this story of an Olympic underdog come to life. All his life, Eddie Edwards simply wanted to compete in the Olympics, but he could never find a sport. One day, he discovered ski jumping, and the rest is history. The film takes from the true story of Eddie Edwards’ life, but it takes a decent amount of liberties with other characters and storylines. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie so much that I watched it twice over winter break.

1. The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter’s The Thing is easily one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. Coincidentally, it’s one of the greatest thrillers of all time as well. In The Thing, a research facility in Antarctica is invaded by an alien that presents itself as different humans. Paranoia consumes the crew as they attempt to figure out who is still human. The Thing has gone on to inspire a myriad of films throughout the years due to its creative story and iconic ending.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

I’ll confess: the first time I saw this film, I thought it was subpar. I was young and ignorant, and I simply didn’t get it. Recently, however, I thought about the story and decided to revisit it. I loved it. It will simultaneously break your heart and fill you with hope. The main idea behind the story is: What would happen if someone could erase you from their memory? The question unfolds into a complicated and remarkable story. The impressive cast takes on characters that all embody different levels of emotional stability, and it’s hard not to fall in love with them. I include it on this list because a lot of the movie takes place during the winter. Also Valentine’s Day is coming up, so this is prime to hit you right in the feels.

1. The Shining (1980)

This was obvious. The Shining is about Jack Torrance and his family staying in a hotel through the winter to keep watch over the estate. Jack goes stir crazy, and you probably know the rest. Kubrick’s Drama/Horror is iconic, and a must-see. Imagine not being able to leave Warren for DAYS, and you can easily relate to Jack.

1. Frozen (2013)

It’s overrated. It’s still very good though. (Note from the Editor, CA Megan: no winter movie list is complete without this film. Its all about sisterhood, and has a talking snowman. Also the most annoying Disney song ever, but what can ya do. Some parts are actually golden.)