Emily: How I Made Boston My Home

Last year, when I arrived to Boston, there was a lot going through my mind. I was excited to be in a new place, but also nervous. I didn’t know anybody, and my parents were basically dropping me off in a random city that would be my home for the next four years. After freshmen year, I left thinking of Boston as my home away from home. So, I’m going to give you some tips on how I made Boston my Home.

1) Finding a good coffee shop/study spot

This might sound silly, but finding my go-to coffee shop was a game changer. I would hang out there when I didn’t want to sit in bed, my friends and I would go and hang out there in between classes, and sometimes I even got some work done in there. Pavement was basically my Central Perk last year, and I quickly became a regular there.

2) Getting into a routine

Not as exciting as coffee, I know, but finding a routine may be one of the most important pieces of advice I can give. Although it might be boring, having a daily routine is comforting. There are so many unsure things in the beginning of college, so knowing how you spend your time during the day will give you some sense of relaxation.

3) Explore!

The only way to make Boston feel like home is to know the city! Getting out and exploring is one of the reasons I chose this school; there’s so much to see and do! Plus, once you get out and see the city, you’ll find your favorite places to go back to. Once you know Boston, it starts to feel like home.

4) Join Clubs

I can easily say that joining clubs and getting involved on campus was the single most important thing for me last year. Meeting people with similar interests (like all the CAs) instantly made me feel better. I also joined WTBU, which is my favorite club on campus. Surrounding yourself with great people in great clubs not only makes you feel at home, but it also helps make the BU community feel a little smaller and more welcoming. Being involved on campus makes me so happy, and I know it will make you feel good too!