Frank: Summer Jams Come and Go, But Please Don’t Replay Despacito

Hey what is up guys, Frankthony Hernantano here, and I’m just gonna go ahead and say it: I really did not keep up with songs this summer. Like at all. So, we’re going to fix that right here, right now. With summer winding down and fall just around the corner, I think it’s time to listen to the summer anthems of 2017 one last time before the cold makes us forget. Now, since I personally don’t know which songs were the top summer hits this year, I asked a couple of friends back home to come up with a list. Here are my first impressions on the top 5 summer songs of 2017 (as picked by two pretty cool dudes in Puerto Rico):

1. Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, and Big Sean – Feels

Off to a great start since I’ve actually heard this one before! Calvin Harris’ newest album, Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1, is filled with bangers like Slide and Heatstroke, but the only song that really encapsulates the summer is this one, Feels. Harris’ funky beat, mixed with Pharrell’s angelic voice, and Katy Perry’s excellent delivery on the chorus almost make me forget how out of place Big Sean feels in this song. Like, the guy takes all the momentum and energy of the song and just ruins it with this deadpanned rapping. Big Sean aside, this is one heck of a summer jam. Hearing it gives me some feels.

1. Fifth Harmony feat. Gucci Mane – Down

Remember when Fifth Harmony was on the X-Factor? How cute and innocent they looked singing their hearts out to Miss Movin’ On? Well those days are over, say hello to a new Fifth Harmony (now with one less member). Down really doesn’t sound good: the obnoxious drums, the nonsensical lyrics, and the incessant finger snapping. The beat gets worse when Gucci Mane starts rapping; it literally just starts over-blasting for no reason. It sounds like your run-of-the-mill pop song that you hear at parties. I’m definitely not down with this song.

1. DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper & Lil Wayne – I’m The One

I was honestly expecting to hate this song but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a catchy song and the beat ain’t half bad. Unlike Down or Feels, all the featured artists in the song really add something interesting to the track. Bieber’s chorus is infectious and will get stuck in your head all day. Quavo, Chance, and Wayne’s verses are fresh and smooth; their distinct voices really help give the song form and variety. This is one heck of a banger. In fact, you could say it’s the one.

1. The Chainsmokers & Coldplay – Something Like This

Now I only have one problem with this song, and it’s that I feel like I’ve heard it before. I swear I remember hearing this song last year or something, but that can’t be true since this track was released this year. It’s a nagging feeling in the back of my head that I just can’t beat. Other than that, the song’s pretty good. Coldplay’s vocals go hand in hand with The Chainsmokers’ instrumentation and the song’s lyrics are pretty sweet and cute. I wish more songs were like this.

1. Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee – Despacito

Oh, you knew this song was coming. I knew this song was coming. Despacito is… a time. Apart from Feels, this is the only other song in the list I’ve heard before. This song was so overplayed back home. I’ve heard it so many times that now every time I hear those guitar strings at the beginning I get nausea. Nevertheless, I can’t deny it’s a pretty decent song. It has a pretty catchy tune and great singing. It’s an okay song, if you just hear it once or twice. About the tenth time you hear it, you’ll without a doubt start hating it. (I don’t know how to add despacito into a sentence without it sounding weird, sorry)

And with that our list comes to a close. But the summer of 2017 didn’t just have 5 songs, tweet me at @EfrainIsFrank with any other summer track I didn’t talk about in this blog post, and I’ll give you my first impressions on it! (But please, no more Despacito. I’m so done with Despacito.)