Hali: Hali’s Guide to Staying In

The past two Friday nights, I have stayed home and done laundry. Exciting, right? Well, for me, yes. 

I used to be devastated when I didn’t have plans for the weekend. Now, I understand the importance of reserving free time. It’s only been a few weeks, but this fall has been the most challenging semester I’ve had so far in college. During the week, my days start at 9 AM, and I’m usually not home before 10 or 11 PM. After five days of classes, interning, and working multiple jobs, all I can think about on Friday is going home, changing into my comfiest pajamas, and rewatching at least five episodes of Sex and the City. Thinking about staying in this Friday? I’ve provided my recipe for the perfect night in.

#1: The Attire

It’s fun to wear trendy clothes to class. When you look good, you feel good. And when you feel good, you perform well, right? Of course.

But a girl can only wear high-waisted skinny jeans and heeled boots for so many hours. The best part of my day is when I get to come home and change into sweatpants and an oversized cardigan. The best thing about the weekend? You can literally keep this comfy outfit on until Monday morning (you might want to consider taking it off to shower at some point, though).

#2: The Activities

“Activities” might not be the right word, because most of my night-in plans involve staying pretty still. Options include: movies (of course), online shopping, baking, manicures, face masks, etc. My Friday nights usually include all of the above. 

The point is, your night-in activities should consist of whatever makes you happy. Last weekend, I stayed in and cleaned my kitchen. And guess what? I enjoyed every moment! 

#3: The Food

I usually sort this one out before Friday even arrives. A pre-Friday night trip to the grocery store is a must if you want to make the most of your treat ‘yo self experience. Feeling creative? Make yourself dinner! Feeling lazy? Even better! Pick up something to go. Feeling even lazier? That’s what Uber Eats is for! 

Just as important as dinner are the snacks. Whether your plans include watching a movie, reading a book, or Facetiming your mom, you need adequate fuel to give you the strength to spend several hours lounging in bed. 

#4: The Finale

The best part of a Friday night in? Bedtime. As soon as the clock strikes 10:30 PM, sip your last bit of chamomile tea, take your melatonin supplement (thanks, Target vitamin aisle), and head to bed! 

Have you had a tough week? Live your best life this weekend from the comfort of your own home (or apartment, or dorm).