Josee: The Moments That Matter the Most

Life comes at you fast. Too fast, even.

Let’s set the scene, it’s your freshman year at Boston University. The mid-semester crunch has hit you like a brick wall.

Your homework is scattered with coffee stains, you’ve slept about 8 hours in the past week, and you’re running around campus like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make all the classes, meetings, and obligations of the week.

I wish I could say that I remember most of my freshman year, but in all honesty, most of the time my mind couldn’t stop racing. All I could think about were the things that had to be done next. Not only did it take a toll on my mental health, but it left me exhausted and burnt out.

I was recently speaking to a COM professor about this strange sense of being. I told him about the daily existential crises I faced and the fact that 99% of the time, I felt like I was lost in some way or the other.

But then I also mentioned how I would find these moments, no matter how small, where things felt okay. The world seemed to slow down and my mind cleared up its fog. In those moments, I felt happy, confident, and the pits in my stomach unraveled. For a fleeting moment, things seemed clear.

These moments came about both planned and unexpected. These were the moments I truly cherished and worked tirelessly for. They made the toil and struggle worth it.

For example, this past month, I worked an event for my internship with WBUR at Faneuil Hall. Since the semester had started, I had been struggling with keeping up with deadlines and obligations. I often questioned whether all the work was even worth it.

But then, I took to the stage in a place where history was made. I stood in front of hundreds of people and watched an event knowing that I had a hand in it. I watched journalism at its finest unravel before my eyes. That night, I got the chance to witness a dialogue bloom, a dialogue that I’ve wanted to contribute to my entire life.

That night, I remembered why I wanted to be a journalist.

But it’s not only in the huge career moves or school accomplishments, it’s in the beautiful in everyday. Each day may not be incredible, but if you look hard enough, you’ll find something incredible between the time you wake up and the time you fall asleep.

That’s why I started a reverse bucket list for this semester. What I’ve been doing is writing down things I’m thankful for that happened in a day and placing them in a literal bucket. Then if things are rough, I can just pick up a few slips and remind myself of the times I’m most grateful for.

Some slips so far include petting precious dogs in Amory Park with my FYSOP co-staff, sharing cookie dough with my best friend, and wearing fuzzy socks while listening to smooth jazz on a rainy day.

So yes, life may move quickly, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take some quick snapshots of the ride.

As always, peace and love.

Josee