Sam G: Three Easy Ways to Take Care of Yourself This Winter

Winter in Boston is objectively … not the most fun. The dead of winter means cold, dry air, dark mornings, early nights, flu symptoms and general yuckiness. This semester, my last one at BU, I’ve (finally) come up with ways to keep myself healthy, happy and far away from that spring-semester slump.
1. Eat seasonal veggies

Sometimes eating healthy in the winter is tricky! Out-of-season vegetables are expensive and not the freshest, so it’s often easier to dive into a big bowl of pasta or zap that leftover takeout in the microwave. One thing I like to do in the winter to stay healthy and happy is pick up seasonal winter veggies for hearty meals of soup or vegetable pans that last all week long! Try roasting a batch of crispy brussel sprouts, bake a yummy delicata squash in olive oil or even slice up some homemade sweet potato “fries.”
2. Invest in an essential oil diffuser

I received a desktop diffuser for Hanukkah, and it’s really changed my world.  This is going to sound extra but I promise, this baby has worked wonders. 100 ml of water + three drops of oil = immediate peace, relaxation and warmth. It can be set on a timer, so I will do an hour of lavender oil as I fall asleep, an hour of peppermint for a boost of positivity or an hour of frankincense for meditation. I like to turn it on while I get ready in the morning to get me out of bed and wake up a bit. 10/10 would recommend.
3. Get moving
Trust me, there’s nothing I like more on a cold day than cuddling under my blanket and watching Netflix or reading a good book. That being said, winter is often the hardest time of year to get active and can leave you in a real funk. My new favorite fitness app, Aaptiv, holds me accountable to work out in some capacity every day and keeps me awake and alert during the day. The app updates daily with new classes narrated by real trainers, which is useful whether I want to go for a full-on FitRec sweat sesh or just do a bit of body strength in my apartment before I get ready for the day.