Laura: Balancing Act

A month into my New Year’s Resolution and I can say I am not doing too hot.

What is this 2018 Resolution you ask? Not the basic ideas like drink more water, exercise frequently, or be better at saving money, but rather…

To stop getting stressed out.

If you are anything like me (neat freak, planner obsessed, calendar is color coded, etc) you might think this is an impossible goal. I just can’t help it! When I have an overwhelming schedule I immediately result to blurting out “I’M SO STRESSED!”

I think getting caught up in the college moment is almost too easy. With class all day, an internship, trying to hangout with friends, catching up on This is Us and getting sleep it can be impossible to find time to breathe.

Here is my pledge that I will actually try to be less stressed so here are some ideas on how we can all prevent and reduce stress: 

• Meditating in the morning

This doesn’t need to take too much time it can just be taking some nice deep breaths before leaving your room for the day and giving yourself positive thoughts.

•  Drinking tea before bed

My favorite is the honey lavender “Stress Relief” tea from the brand Yogi.

• Getting the proper amount of sleep

I try and get 8 hours of sleep every night by using the bedtime section on the clock app on my phone. I can set when I want to go to bed and wake up and it will remind me 15 minutes before to go to bed. I can also track my sleep to make sure I am staying well rested to avoid feeling run down and sick.

• Acknowledging that you’re stressed and taking a break

If you take a minute to realize you’re stressed, what needs to get done and then take a small break before you do it, it might be more effective. Sometimes I need a quick break before I can sit down to do all my work.

We’re all in stress together! Get those deep breaths going with me and we can definitely make it through this semester.