Morgan L: A Love Letter to the Dining Hall

Pure bliss during my first Lobster Night at BU

I always say that my favorite place to be in Massachusetts is in Boston University’s dining halls.  Most people are convinced that I am kidding, or maybe have never tasted food at an authentic dining establishment, but the truth is, I genuinely love the dining hall. 

My question is: What’s not to like?  The dining hall is essentially a buffet offered to you every meal of the day, and every single day of the week.  Sounds like a dream come true to me!

In my mind, all three dining halls possess distinctly different personalities with my favorite being Marciano Commons.  Although Warren and West also check off everything on my list for things I desire from a dining hall, including good food and a kind staff, Bay State does it all with a little extra charm.

Let me start off with the food.  Yes, I admit, I have not had the best meal of my life while on Commonwealth Avenue, but I do admire the dining hall’s consistency.  I can always find a dish that catches my interest, and if not, I make a stop at the trusty sandwich station.  To make things even better, the dining hall’s special events are something to look forward to.  I’m that girl that puts the Visiting Chef Series and Lobster Night in their planner.  It would also be a fairly good guess to assume that I would celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day or National Clam Chowder Day at the two-story cafeteria.  Food is what makes events special, and BU Dining Services understands that.      

The dining hall isn’t only a place to get food, it is the ideal study place. There are a variety of comfortable seating options, many of which have easily accessible outlets. Food is always readily available, and if you’re a snacker like me, you can pick at some cereal of goldfish throughout your stay.  A small tip is that you can stay there all day, and eat all three meals for the cost of one swipe.  It is not rare to catch me working on my COM papers at a booth in Bay State with a stack of plates piling up beside me.

Sure, the dining hall could get better noodles, a wider variety of fruits, or cook their rice so that it’s not still hard, (and if your reading this BU Dining Services, please do!) but overall, I have never walked out of 100 Bay State Road unsatisfied.  If it wasn’t clear, I love the dining hall—why wouldn’t you?