Hali: Hali’s Favorite Coffee Shops

Hello, fellow COM student! 

True fans will remember that one year ago, I posted my list of favorite brunch spots in Boston. While I don’t have time to eat as much brunch these days, I still make time for coffee. As a self-proclaimed coffee connoisseur, I’ve been to my fair share of Boston coffee shops. The best thing about going out for coffee is that it can be as productive (or not) as you want it to be. In typically Hali fashion, here is a list of the best coffeeshops to spend an entire Sunday afternoon writing that WR150 paper that’s due next week! 

Tatte

Don’t fool yourself and assume that my list is in no particular order. Well, after this one, it is in no particular order. But Tatte belongs at the top. Why, you ask? It’s because, in short, Tatte Cafe and Bakery is my happy place. Where else can you get the most caffeinated cold brew you’ve ever had and pair it with a pastry, a sandwich, or – if you’re feeling crazy – CHEESECAKE? I would like to point out a few things that make Tatte the best coffee shop around. First, you have a million options. Tatte just opened brand new locations in Back Bay and Fenway, and they’re located in just about every other neighborhood of Boston and Cambridge as well. Second, there is nothing in the world that’s better than Tatte’s almond croissant. Trust. 

A photo of the Holy Land (1352 Boylston Street).

Barrington Coffee Roasting Company

Talk about a cool, calm, collected aesthetic, am I right? This one’s a little out of the way, but hey! If it’s the weekend, you were probably going to Newbury Street anyway, right? Make a quick stop here between all the shopping to get a little work done. Barrington makes my list because while all of these coffee shops have great vibes, Barrington probably has the best actual coffee. Drink up, and study up. 

Barrington Coffee Roasting Company (303 Newbury Street)

Pavement

I’ll be completely honest, I am listing Pavement out of sheer obligation! Just kidding, kind of. I am actually listing Pavement because if I go one week without a Sunrise on a multigrain everything bagel, I suffer from serious withdrawal symptoms! All jokes aside, Pavement is one of the best coffee shops in Boston, and their location is so convenient for BU students. PRO-TIP: the Fenway location (located on Boylston) is 100% the superior Pavement! It’s only a five minute walk from the one on campus, and it’s worth the extra steps to have a better chance of finding a table. 

Pavement Coffeehouse (1334 Boylston Street)

Blue State

Blue State will always have a place in my heart. I will always associate remember it as the closest place to my freshman year dorm in Claflin Hall where I could actually get good coffee. Blue State makes my list because of their expansive menu. From cold brew to tea to smoothies, they’ve got it all. They’re also open until 10 PM, so stay as late as you’d like. 

Blue State Coffee (957 Commonwealth Avenue)

I’ll keep my list short to make your coffee-shop decision easier. If you’d like a more extensive selection, feel free to give me a call. Next time you’re craving something a little more chic than your caramel iced coffee from Dunkin, give one of these spots a try!