Hannah: Feeling Homesick? Have No Fear, 7 Tips Are Here!

When I was applying to college, my main goal was to get away. Like Lady Bird, I had a dream of moving to the bustling east coast. The summer before starting at BU, I was antsy every day. I looked around me and thought, “Ugh, Michigan! I can’t wait to leave you!” I felt like I was so ready to be independent and sophisticated, no longer a naïve Midwesterner.

tumblr_ow9ari6viz1up42jgo1_540

Once I got to BU, however, I kept thinking about my home and family. Could it be? Was I actually homesick? Was I actually missing the Midwest??? I felt guilty for missing my lame Michigan dirt roads and strip malls when the brilliant Boston was my backyard.

giphy-4

I hid this gross feeling of homesickness and pretended that I wasn’t feeling nostalgic. I later learned that being homesick is okay. A lot of people feel that way and it’s not immature or embarrassing. Here a few tips to get that icky feeling out of your stomach.

1. Discover Boston!

Homesickness is often brought about by boredom. Write a list of touristy places you want to see in Boston and try your best to go into the city once a week. The more you get to know Boston, the more it will feel like your second home. Check out the Museum of Fine Arts or walk around Harvard Square!

tenor (1)

2. FaceTime That Fam

Call your family once a week. This is a great reminder that although you are far away, you are still connected.

tenor-1

3. Think About What You Love in Your Home and Find It in Boston

Boston is unbelievably diverse and probably has pretty much anything your home has. I was really missing the small funky shops of Ann Arbor, Michigan and later discovered that shopping in Cambridge had a similar feel. All you gotta do is some exploring.

giphy-2

4. Stop Counting the Days

Put that calendar away! College is a journey and not a destination. When you stop thinking about how many weeks are left until break, you’ll be more in the moment and less homesick.

980x

5. Take Care of Yourself

When you are strung out and frazzled, all of your emotions are more intense. Remember to get enough sleep, exercise, eat healthy food and drink water so your physical state doesn’t negatively impact your mental state.

giphy-3

6. Trust Yourself

You moved away for a reason! Remember why you chose BU and the things in your hometown that you wanted to move away from. Also, keep in mind that the things you miss are probably being exaggerated in your brain.

i-have-confidence

7. Keep Company 

Whenever you feel that sad feeling, ask someone to lunch! Create your own little BU family. Also, it’s not weird if you ask someone out in a class or in a club that you don’t know that well. People want to make new friends! Don’t worry about it 😉

unnamed (1)

8. List it Up!

Make a list of the things and people you miss at home. When you go home for break, try to hit all those things so you don’t miss them as much when you come back.

PCtuDZiSucPHa

Keep in mind that it is natural to miss your home. Whenever you feel sad, try to think of it as feeling thankful. Your home is completely yours; it is part of your personality and upbringing and that’s amazing!

To end this, I’m going to quote an incredible movie, Brooklyn. “Homesickness is like most sicknesses. It will pass.”

tumblr_o1l1boTWCP1rbud4zo1_500 (1)