Avery: A Family Away From Home

Arguably the hardest thing about going to college is leaving your family. Your family has been with you through thick and thin, and it’s difficult to leave that support system behind. I’m an only child so I am especially close with my parents. When I left home, I was really worried about leaving behind a group of people that I could always rely on and confide in. I wanted to make sure I could make that same personal connection at BU.

My response to this was joining the Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Team (The Ozone Pilots) here at BU. I had played frisbee a little bit in high school, and I loved the community so much that I knew I wanted to continue while here. I was nervous that it might be different, but my very first practice proved me wrong. We started with a team huddle, and after, every single member of the team came up to me and introduced themselves personally. I had met kind and welcoming groups of people before, but never to this extent. The students were inquisitive, asking about what my major was, where I was from, and how I was adjusting to life here.

The women on the team have quickly become my family away from family. Anytime I need to talk about anything, whether it be personal or school-related, I know I can talk to quite literally anyone on the team. If I’m at practice and something appears to be off, there is a guarantee that at least four or five team members will approach me and check in. Having a family apart from your real family is so incredibly valuable in college, and I strongly encourage everyone to get involved with something that lights their fire and engage in the community within that group!

Flash forward to six months later, which is where I am currently. I have practice three to four nights a week, and I look forward to every single one of them. Whether it be raining, snowing, or 10 degrees, I know that I’ll have an amazing time because of the young women that I get to spend my time with. They can cheer me up after an awful day, or even just an okay one. No matter what, I know I can rely on them. They’re my family.
In summary, I would highly recommend joining a sport or club that is of interest to you! You get to do what you love while being surrounded by people that you love. What more could you ask for?