Avery: Quick Jobs: The Hidden Gem of BU’s Campus

If you’re a student, there’s a good chance that you want to make some extra money for your own personal funds. As college undergrads, we could always use some cash to fuel our eating out and Starbucks habits. The phrase “broke college student” may be a stereotype, but I’ve found it to be true more often than not. Whether you have an off-campus job, or maybe a work study opportunity here at BU, there’s a good chance you’ll still want a quick and easy way to bring in some extra cash, especially with the holiday season (and the ensuing gift-giving frenzy) coming upon us. Or maybe you’re too busy for a full-time job, and you’re dying to find a simple way to bring in a little extra money here and there. Well, fret no more. I am here to inform you of one of BU’s most well-kept secrets: the Quick Job Listings Page.

**DISCLAIMER: This is NOT sponsored by Quick Jobs. To be honest, I’m just a really big fan of this resource and I’ve had great experiences with it, so I thought I would share it with everyone. I swear they’re not paying me to write this, but I will say that if they wanted me to be an ambassador for them I’d be down.**

What is Quick Jobs?
This portal on the Student Link is a list of one-time jobs and opportunities, both paid and unpaid, that are available to students. Many of them are on-campus and pay pretty well (at least $15 an hour). I’ve personally participated in a couple of focus groups and studies, which were actually pretty fun and easy! A lot of the studies are done by undergrad or grad students in the lab at Sargent, which is on-campus and easily accessible. And if studies aren’t your jam, there are other opportunities listed! I have friends who have found babysitting, videography, and research assistant positions on the portal.

How to Access Quick Job Listings:
First, you have to log into Student Link. On the homepage, you’ll see a teal colored tab labelled “Work.” Click on this link.

PHOTO1

Once on the “Work” menu, click on the link that says “Quick Jobs.” This will bring you to a menu with a bunch of options for categories. For jobs that are easily accessible, I would recommend using the category “On-Campus.”

PHOTO2Once you have selected this category, you’ll be brought to a page with a list of available studies and opportunities you can participate in. A lot of them pay pretty well and are easy to get to because they’re on campus!

PHOTO3I’ve done a couple of studies and only have good things to say about them. For a speech comprehension study, I went into the lab at Sargent for an hour a day for 5 days and read sentences off a screen for $20 an hour. Not bad!

How to Sign Up:
If you’re interested, they’re pretty easy to sign up for. Just click the title of the job you’re interested in and click on the job number for contact info. A lot of the people conducting studies are undergrad students who are super approachable, so don’t get intimidated by the idea of contacting them.

PHOTO4

Overall, I would highly recommend trying this out! It’s an easy and fun way to make some extra money on campus, and everyone that I know who has tried it out has had positive experiences 🙂 Now go get your study on!