Josee: It’s Okay to Not Be Okay All the Time

College, a time where people are breaking out of their shells, trying new things, and hitting that post-high school glo-up. It’s also when you’re out of your small town and plunged into the midst of thousands upon thousands of your peers. No pressure, amiright?
While I’m no expert in having things “figured out,” one of the greatest things I’ve learned so far at BU hasn’t been in the classroom. It hasn’t been navigating Comm Ave without getting hit by the T or figuring out the MBTA system.
In all honesty, it’s been realizing that you don’t have to have things figured out all the time. It’s okay to have moments where you’re completely lost and frazzled. It’s also okay to feel like you’re on top of the world.
In the age of social media and quick news, it feels like there are so many ways to compare yourself to others. With the huge BU community, it’s easy to feel inadequate because other people are pursuing things you’re not.
Sometimes, you wonder whether it’s just a “you” thing. But from my own experience, I can confirm it’s not. Everyone is figuring themselves out. Everyone is learning and making themselves better than before. Trust me when I say everyone is messing up too.
And that’s what’s so amazing about going through this intense transformation when you’re here at BU. Whether it’s the support of your friends, your family, or just the kindness of a stranger, it’s okay to not be okay. Simply because, you’re not alone. Receive some love and make sure to share it too.
I guess what I’m trying to say is embrace all of your time here. Embrace the ugly. Embrace the confusing. Embrace the beautiful.
Embrace you.