Arianna: Overcoming Impostor Syndrome

As a senior graduating this May, one of the most challenging aspects of my BU career has been overcoming impostor syndrome. Impostor syndrome is defined as “a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a ‘fraud.’” For me, it essentially means that a lot of the time, my achievements don’t feel like “real” achievements, and that I tend to undervalue my accomplishments and hard work.

Some of the greatest attributes I’ve found most, if not all, of my COM peers tend to possess are a driven, hardworking nature combined with creativity and passion. COM students are imaginative and intelligent, but we are also willing to put in the work to achieve our goals. It is so inspiring and beneficial to be constantly surrounded by hardworking, talented fellow students, but at times, it can be challenging: sometimes my own achievements get lost in a sea of comparison to fellow students.

Over the years, I have found these to be helpful reminders:

1. Don’t compare your “behind-the-scenes” to someone else’s highlight reel.
  2. Behind every “flex” there’s probably a lot of hard work, stress, and a few failures along the way.
  3. There is always room for improvement and growth. Don’t let that stop you from being proud of what you have achieved.

At the end of the day, success means different things for different people, and it’s important to view your achievements in the context of your own personal goals, rather than to stack them up and compare them to those of others. When you’re reflecting on your accomplishments, don’t compare them to those of your friends and classmates. Look at them through the lens of your own interests, goals, and the work you put in to get where you are.

With Love,

Arianna <3