Jamey: 4 BU London Pro-Tips from a Self-Proclaimed Expert

1. Pret A Manger is the new Starbucks.

Anyone who resides on Commonwealth Avenue knows how much Starbucks we Terriers like to go through. This summer, I had Cold Foam Cascara Cold Brew coursing through my veins in place of blood. However, Starbucks are few and far between in London! While there is a Starbucks on Gloucester Road (right by Courtfield Gardens), the prices in pounds end up converting to about 1.5x the cost of American Starbucks! So we, the BU Londoners, learned quickly that Pret A Manger is far superior to Starbucks. While the coffee isn’t incredible, they have wonderful teas and lattes. The main highlight of Pret A Manger is the £3 sandwich section with some really incredible food for very reasonable prices

2. 43 Harrington Gardens (The Academic Building) is your friend!

I totally get it. You’re in London! You don’t want to spend all of your time in the academic building. You’d rather go out and see the London Eye, take a walk through the Tate Modern, or see a show on the West End. But for those days when you’re tired or need to catch up on schoolwork, you should take advantage of the academic building! The staff of the BU London program are so friendly, and they really want to get to know you. (Shoutout to my two best friends in the student accounting office on the fifth floor!) The BU Academic building has a wonderful common room complete with a tea station. Additionally, the library basement is so cute and quiet. While it’s small in size, it’s aesthetic could beat Mugar any day!

3. Don’t expect to get off the plane and experience immediate Harry Potter magic.

My first day in London was full of jet lag, homesickness, and anxiety. I was hoping to get off that plane and jump right into my European adventure, but I realized quickly that that would not be possible. Listen to your body and listen to your mind! You will have so many days to go out on adventures and explore. I am so proud of myself for using self-care to get through my first day at BU London. If it’s not the best 24 hours of your life, that means you’re experiencing something completely normal! And if you continue to struggle, BU London has a certified counselor on staff who can meet with you to help you make your abroad experience more easy and enjoyable!

4. Reserve your BU London Social Catalogue programs early.

The BU London Program runs all sorts of cool expeditions and events to get you acquainted with London, the UK, and Europe as a whole! A couple of weeks before your departure, they will send you a catalogue with all of these events. Once you get the catalogue, you should reserve your spots IMMEDIATELY! There are limited spaces, and every single one of the events I went on was worthwhile. Attached is a picture from the BU London trip to the Scottish Highlands and Loch Ness!