Sabrina: It’s Ok To Have Weaknesses!

Picture1

When I started college I had no idea what I wanted to do. I knew that I had passions, and I knew that I wanted to be in communications because in high school it was my favorite subject. Coming to Boston University, I decided to go into Film and Television, because I knew that I loved TV and writing. As junior year came around I decided that I was going to step outside of my comfort zone by taking one screenwriting class and one production class. I figured that taking a production class could be beneficial, because if I was great at it, then I’d know that production was something I could try to pursue as a career. On the other hand, if I didn’t like it, that was another film and television path that I could cross off of my list. As I’ve gone through the class and have navigated this semester, I’ve learned to accept that there are certain things I’m just not going to be great at doing. For example: production.

Every time I sign up for a class, I walk in with expectations of my performance. When I registered for a statistics class, I figured that I would barely pass the course, considering the fact that math has never been my strongest subject. However, I finished the class with an A, and even managed to get a 100 on the final exam. I shocked myself because all along I had been doubting my abilities.

When I signed up for Production 1, I figured that I’d enjoy the class and do well. I worked on the television station at my previous school, Ithaca College, and had experience making short films for other beginner-level film and television courses. I never could have anticipated that I’d be receiving grades below a B. I didn’t think that I was the best filmmaker or the best editor or anything of the sort, but I never expected to feel so defeated.

Production 1 has taught me several lessons. It’s taught me how to use a Canon C100 video camera, how to record and edit audio using omnidirectional microphones, and even how to color-correct footage. But above all, Production 1 has taught me that it’s okay to not be good at everything. Growing up, and in high school especially, I wasn’t good at everything by a long shot. I had strengths and weaknesses, but when it came to my favorite subjects, I thrived. Production 1 made me realize that it’s ok to have weaknesses within your major and your passion. It’s impossible to be good at everything or to receive A grades on every assignment. Sometimes you have to accept the fact that everyone has weaknesses and that certain parts of your major just might not be the perfect fit for you, and that’s more than okay.

Regardless of your major, I always encouraged people to step outside of their comfort zone. You may discover new weaknesses, like production, but you also may discover new strengths, like statistics! Anything is possible, but you have to explore in order to find out.