Nick: Three BU-Related Movies to Watch While in Quarantine

44048624300_0a065d2263_b

Although classes are still going on, I have been left with a lot of free time thanks to my current quarantine status in New York City. I’ve been taking advantage of my “freedom” by cleaning my room and catching up on movies and TV shows I’ve been meaning to watch. On my list are three movies to enjoy in quarantine – they ALSO relate to BU:

• Uncut Gems

The Safdie Brothers – two BU COM alumni – directed this masterpiece of anxiety, crime, and drama. Josh and Benny Safdie graduated from BU’s film and TV program in 2007 and 2008 respectively. The film stars Adam Sandler and won several Film Independent Spirit awards. Uncut Gems was also nominated for a couple Golden Globes but was snubbed at the Oscars! While no one needs an anxiety boost right now, the movie will certainly make you forget about everything else going on. All in all, it’s a great film!

• Spotlight 
    1. Spotlight is a Boston movie through and through; It follows the Spotlight team of the Boston Globe working to uncover child sexual abuse and assault cases that had been hushed by the Catholic church. It stars Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Michael Keaton, John Slattery, and Stanley Tucci. Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams play Michael Rezendes and Sacha Pfeiffer, respectively – two BU alumni! The Spotlight team won a Pulitzer prize for their work, and the film won Best Picture at the Oscars… Need I say more?
  • Spenser Confidential

Spenser Confidential is a new action-comedy available to stream on Netflix. The movie stars Mark Wahlberg and Winston Duke as two ex-cop/ex-convicts taking down criminals in the streets of Boston. What relates to BU specifically? The film was shot on BU’s west campus, by Life Alive and Otto Pizza on Commonwealth Ave! While it’s unlikely to win any awards, it could act as a fun escape from the boring walls of your room.