Malaika: Advance Your Career From Home!

A few of my favorite websites for career development and opportunities

Stuck in my childhood bedroom, I was running out of things to do a week into quarantine. My wake-up, snack, Netflix, class, more Netflix, more snacks, then nap  routine was getting increasingly boring day-by-day. I’m a learner and a do-er, so I thrive on keeping my mind going constantly, but spending hours on Zoom wasn’t cutting it for me. 

One weekend, a friend of mine put out a PSA on Linkedin. “No job prospects? Internships cancelled? Here are opportunities to advance your career from home.” I read the post, intrigued, and fell into a rabbit hole of external learning sites that build a network for young professionals entering into the workforce. My friends and I spent the Summer connecting with a number of them, and I wanted to share some of the resources we’ve found to help advance our careers from a distance!

Connect the Writers

connect-the-writers

Connect the Writers works to eliminate barriers for BIPOC creatives by connecting young professionals with industry vets for mentorship. This Summer, I got to speak with an executive producer from FOX’s Empire who offered me great advice on breaking into my dream career. Overall, their network is incredible (a few of my friends had mentors from Netflix and ABC). Additionally, CTW offers free online writing seminars at no cost, and sends out job opportunities for major networks. 

Sundance Co//ab

csimagecollab

Sundance Co//ab is a platform that offers hours of educational videos – masterclasses, interviews, or tutorials – on topics like directing, journalism interviewing, producing… etc.  You can also enter your work in monthly challenges for the opportunity to receive a subscription and one-on-one feedback on your work from a Sundance mentor. 

The Daily Logo Challenge

dailylogo

Ad majors, art directors and graphic designers, this is the challenge for you! For 50 days, The Daily Logo Challenge sends you a brief for a fictitious company with a name and/or an idea to design for. In your downtime, improve your skills and expand your logofolio! 

Adobe Max

Wrapup_MAX_DayOne

Advice to creators: surround yourself with other creators! Adobe Max is one opportunity to do so! Adobe Max is a three day virtual creativity conference in late october – FREE this year!  You can build your schedule with luminary speakers, celebrity appearances and musical performances. You can also learn new skills in a number of beginning-to-intermediate design, editing, or video classes from Adobe instructors and global artists. 

Inbound 2020

inbound2020

Another online event for those in PR, Journalism and Ad is Inbound 2020, now offering a FREE 2-day virtual pass! Inbound is an industry-forward event connecting professionals with trailblazers in the field. This year’s keynote speakers include Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger, CNN Host Van Jones, and Comedian Fortune Feimster! 

Journalist’s Toolbox

journalists-toolbox

From the Society of Professional Journalists, the Journalist’s Toolbox is a comprehensive list of resources. This site includes links to databases, fact-checking sites, experts, e-newsletters, archives and tips for covering stories. If you don’t already know this site exists, prepare to bookmark it! 

These are just a few of many sites that exist to further your career development from home! I’m excited to find and interact with more virtual networks as we Learn from Anywhere this semester. 

Happy learning, 

CA Malaika