Stephen: Thinking, Reading, Doing

stephen_blog

I would like to preface this blog post by saying that this is a complete rip from an idea my brother had a few years back. Go take a look at his original post and other posts too on his website here: https://robbyhume.com/.

At this point in my life, I’m starting to encounter a lot of uncertainty. In just about half a year I will be graduating from BU with a film degree and that is about all I know. Where I live, where I work, who I interact with — these are all things that are just completely up in the air, and that’s okay. What’s important to do, though, is try to plan out my personal goals and aspirations and consider things that I can control. Here is where my post title comes into play. Thinking, reading, and doing is a simple way of listing out what I would like to accomplish or realize in the upcoming year. It’s not quite the end of 2020, but it’s about time to put this list together. So, let’s begin. 

Thinking –

This one is pretty straightforward for me. I’d like to spend more time self-reflecting. This doesn’t have to be anything grand or extensive either, and can instead focus on one week at a time. 

Additionally, I need to think more about my craft of filmmaking and photography. I have worked on combining the two to work together in a potential career more effectively, but I need to spend time refining these thoughts and plans. I’d also like to think more about how to combine my love for filmmaking into my care about the environment. I have begun making plans here to make this a priority, but I need to double down on my commitment and think about how to best approach it moving forward.

Reading –

This one is a challenge for me, but as a filmmaker I would very much like to get back into reading. I believe reading is extremely important for my line of work to learn more about storytelling and be immersed in other worlds, so I am going to make it a goal to read more. I have a few books with me that I would like to read first:

• The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
  • Zero to One by Peter Thiel
  • The Peregrine by J.A. Baker

These three would be a great start, and I have already begun The War of the Worlds so I hope to finish that before the Spring semester. 

Doing –

There are plenty of things that I feel like I need to do, but with the Spring right around the corner, it’s time to narrow it down a bit more and focus up. 

Firstly, I need to get out into the world more to do not only photography, but various filmmaking projects. It can be very hard to find the proper motivation sometimes, especially in the middle of a very strange semester, but I’m always so happy to be out and about and I need to remember that whenever I feel doubt. 

I need a better workout plan. Over the past year I have worked out on and off in various ways, but I need to set a proper schedule and stick to it. Working out consistently will improve my energy and attitude and help with some anxiety issues that I have started to have. 

Lastly, I need to network. Now it is more important than ever to reach out to people and expand my connections. As a filmmaker, connections in the industry is vital, so doing additional research into the companies and studios I like to reach out to individuals is a must.