I know your first week at school is going to be insane so maybe tackle these in your first month but here are some of my favorite Boston places:
1. Shop on Newbury. One of the best shopping strips in the country, Newbury Street is just a 15 minute walk from campus. With everything from Forever 21 to Burberry, more fro-yo places than I can count and some of Boston’s best restaurants, it’s a great place for a little retail therapy and some delicious food.
2. Hang out in Boston Common. You may have heard that Boston gets a little chilly in the winter so the Common should be one of your first stops. I’m the kind of person who could spend a whole day on a bench people watching but if you’re not into that, you can also take a Swan Boat tour, wander the Public Garden or walk the Freedom Trail, which begins in the Common (however, that’s a favorite of Mom and Dad so maybe wait until Parent’s Weekend to take that 3 mile trek).
3. Explore Faneuil Hall. A historic marketplace near the waterfront, Faneuil Hall is an outdoor marketplace with tourist-y stores and lots of restaurants. More shopping and eating, seeing a trend here? They do have one of my favorite stores in the city though- Christmas in Boston where you can buy cheesy holiday decorations all year round.
4. Hit the Beach at Revere. Who knew there was a beach only a short T ride away? Not this girl until it was too late so I am letting you know now. Take the Blue Line to the end and its less than a five minute walk to a day of fun in the sun.
5. Dinner in the North End. New York has Little Italy. Where I’m from in St. Louis, we have The Hill. In Boston, we have the North End. It even smells like Italian when you walk onto Hanover Street. One of my favorites is The Daily Catch where they serve your pasta in the pan it was cooked in and you drink your water out of paper Dixie cup. And of course, a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry is to. die. for.
Since I won’t be in Boston to welcome you all to college, I hope you have a FANTASTIC first semester and I will see y’all in the spring!