The BU Family

The relationships you develop in COM go well beyond networking. These are friendships you will most likely maintain for the rest of your life. Nor are they confined to your specific major. I have been lucky enough to develop strong friendships throughout COM’s graduate programs: film, TV, journalism. I even met the love of my life within these brick walls.

Family, that is what you get when you come to BU COM – one big, often dysfunctional, but altogether wonderful, family. Our bond is forged in sweat, blood, tears, and, yes, lots of alcohol. We support each other, laugh and cry together, we are, in a way, rediscovering ourselves together.

I have grown so much over the past three semesters, both professionally and personally. Some of it has been trying and, almost, debilitating – my personal life almost overwhelming my professional. I would not have made it through without the support of my BU family.

We are each other’s safety net, cheering squad, all of us wanting each other to succeed as much as we want ourselves to. I have never seen so much love and support in a program. I have never had so many people I could turn to for help (students, faculty and staff).

If I could only say one thing about COM it would be this. When you are accepted into your program of choice you are also accepted into our family. We are all here for a purpose, to better ourselves (in one way or another) and in this shared purpose are the foundations for some of the best friendships you will ever make.

This is what makes this post all the more difficult. We lost a member of our family today. Though only here a semester, he had become an integral member of the COM family. He was an amazing person, whose kindness and creativity will be greatly missed. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Lusha Chen posted on December 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

For really a long time, I think about my reasons of coming here and staying here. I came all the way to this country and choose BU, why? I keep asking myself again and again in my first and second semester. Then one day, Diana Tan gave me the reason. You came here to meet a group of the most fantastic people in the world. And one thing I need to add, to meet the most fantastic city in the world. The feelings to BU and these cutest and best schoolmates are beyond description. All I want is to give them a hug one by one, and I want to meet all of them again in my life. Last words, one day terrier, always terrier.

COMGrad posted on December 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thank you Lusha. Diana is right. We are lucky to attract so many great people to our program.