Soul Food Dinner

By: Kelsey Hopper

In honor of black history month, all dining halls hosted Soul Food Dinner on Thursday February 2nd.  A nice change up from the regular fare in the dining hall, specialty dinners are popular among all students at BU.

Around 6:30, the dining hall was lively with students eager to get their hands on some good southern cooking.  After surveying all of the stations, I decided to try the Cheese Chicken and Grits Casserole and the Buttermilk Fried Chicken.  The fried chicken was a clear favorite among many of the students eating in Warren Towers as the dining staff was forced to open a second station to meet the needs of all of the students!  The fried chicken dinner with macaroni and cheese and biscuits was by far my favorite of the evening as well.  It certainly met my expectations of a southern meal.

The chicken was moist on the inside and the crispy skin offered great texture and crunch when taking a bite.  The macaroni and cheese was creamy and delicious and the biscuit was buttery and flaky.  My dinner was basically comfort on a plate!  The Sweet Tea and Molasses Corn Bread perfectly complemented the southern meal.  For dessert, the Sweet Potato Pie and the Peach Cobbler were both popular and enjoyed by all students.  As authentic as the dining hall could have made, the soul food dinner was a hit and I think that all students will be looking forward to next year’s black history month dinner!