Another reason I love BU

By Emily Wienberg

There are many reasons why I love BU – great professors, unique classes, and a diverse student body are only a few reasons why I wish I had four more years here instead of one. But this summer, I have added another reason why I love BU: John the sandwich guy at Warren.  Every week as part of my job at the Undergraduate Admissions Office, I go to lunch at Warren Dining Hall with prospective students. I’m a huge fan of sandwiches and the first time I went to Warren at the beginning of the summer, I went straight to the sandwich line and ordered John’s Special – a roasted red pepper chicken salad sandwich.sandwich To say it was delicious is an understatement.  I continued to get sandwiches from John every week, ordering his daily chicken salad special, but after the third week of compliments, he had something extra special prepared. Along with my perfectly toasted chicken salad sandwich, he added orange slices and some chips on the side. No big deal, you say? I thought it was the best thing since sliced sourdough bread.
I proceeded to tweet a picture of my delicious sandwich (above), tagging @BUDiningService (one of the best social media accounts at BU) and they kindly replied and said they would pass on my compliments to Warren staff. Two weeks later, as I was getting John’s chicken salad special, he said he had been given a raise because of all the things that were being said about him and his sandwiches on Twitter. Not only did that make John’s day, but it also made mine.
I was so excited to hear that someone who truly cares about his job and making students happy was rewarded for his hard work. I was even more excited to hear that Twitter had something to do with it. Had @BUDiningService not shared my tweets with the manager of the dining hall, John might not have gotten a raise. I’m not taking full credit for this, though. John does this for many other students who also share their appreciation online. According to frequent diners, John is always adding an extra touch to his sandwich creations. John is also positively impacting prospective students by showing them just how friendly BU is and how great our food is, too.
As I said before, I’m a proud BU student and experiences like this truly make my time here more meaningful. I’m thrilled to know that I go to a school that not only rewards dedicated employees, but also listens to sandwich-loving students like me.

Today’s post written by Emily Wienberg a current senior majoring in public relations with a minor in history you can read her blog – http://emilywienberg.com/
You can contact/follow Emily at: emilywienberg@gmail.com or on Twitter: @eberg910